UKTI country profile – Sweden
Business Weekly spoke to Björn Axelsson from UKTI Sweden about the opportunities for East of England businesses in Sweden.
1) What would be your advice to East of England businesses looking to do business in your market for the first time?
• Make sure you are export ready.• Do your basic market research – quick internet search on similar products/services in market.• Know your unique selling points (USP).• Be prepared to spend the time and investments needed for a successful export drive.• Try to be as specific as possible about the kind of help you want from UKTI.
2) Why is now a good time for East of England firms to be looking to do business in your market?
• Sweden and the UK are established trade partners. For Sweden, the UK is the fifth largest import partner and for the UK this makes Sweden its 11th most important export market, larger than for example Russia and Japan.
• During the recent economic downturn, Sweden has had steady growth. The Pound Sterling has dropped to the Swedish Krona, making goods and services from the UK relatively better priced than before.
3) What are the key opportunities for East of England companies looking to approach your markets?
• Retail in general• Subcontractors for heavy industries• Life Sciences• Energy• Construction• ICT
4) For companies coming to explore your market what sort of support can you offer to help them develop their exports in your market?
• UKTI in Sweden provide services ranging from market research, finding and approaching relevant companies, putting on events in our Embassy’s conference room, pub or ambassador’s residence to name a selection of our services. We are very flexible and do not follow a fixed mould. If you have any specific requests we will do our best to make it happen.See UKTI for further details